Friday, 5 December 2014

Glasgow Christmas Market


Christmas markets are one of my favourite things about the festive period so as soon as one popped up in Glasgow I headed along for a nosy.


This year, the Glasgow Christmas market is along Argyll Street and is a Continental one (how fancy!) 'Continental' basically means it's food based which, I'm sure we can all agree, is the best kind of market!


Street markets are my favourite type of market. Nothing beats the atmosphere and there is something wonderful about being freezing cold and wandering past stalls that are emanating heat and delicious smells.


For me, the best time to visit Christmas street markets is later in the evening when it's dark and all the lights are on. I love getting bundled up in my winter woolies and mooching about the the stalls with a hot chocolate - or mulled wine if I'm feeling particularly festive!

The Glasgow market had an array of savory specialties from all across the world. Despite being 'Continental', Caribbean dishes such as curried goat were on offer and ostrich and kangaroo burgers were available from the Meats of the World stall if you were feeling particularly adventurous!
Don't worry though, the more traditional German bratwursts, wood fired pizzas and fish and rice options were there too.


 I had already had my dinner so I was on the hunt for a dessert on this occasion but I shall definitely be back to sample a savory dish before the month is out.

There were a plenty of traditional sweet treats on offer too, macaroons, chocolate coated fruit, Turkish delight, dried fruits, pastries, biscuits and of course, french crepes. I went for Dutch Pancakes which were little warm, doughy pancakes topped with Nutella and golden syrup - fab! 



There were plenty of amazing craft and gift stalls to have a look around too. I love looking at all the traditional Christmas decorations and smelling the wonderful cinnamon and orange potpourris perfect for getting into the Christmas spirit!


This year, the Glasgow Market was the first Christmas market I visited although I have since been to a couple more! Tomorrow I'm heading into Edinburgh for a look around Winter Wonderland and the German Market so I'll be sure to let you know if it lives up to Glasgow's standards :)

Have you been to a Christmas market yet?

Have a lovely weekend!

Lots of Love,

Heather x

















44 comments:

  1. Mmm, all that food is making me hungry! I haven't been to the Glasgow Christmas market yet, but I'm definitely planning to go. It looks really lovely :)

    xx Mimmi, Muted Mornings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should 100% head along Mimmi!

      Heather x

      Delete
  2. That looks amazing! I've never been to a Christmas market before but I would love to!

    dyannedavid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas markets are amazing! I can't believe you've never been to one! I love how everyone has different Christmas traditions.

      Heather x

      Delete
  3. yummy :) I used to go to a Christmas market in Germyny, it's really popular and I love it but now I live in Seattle :)

    https://pepperandstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool, are Christmas markets not as common in Seattle? The Edinburgh market is a German one, I love it!

      Heather x

      Delete
  4. I love wandering around Christmas markets like this - lovely photos! :)

    Style Sunrise ☀ // Giveaway!

    :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Christmas market looks so beautiful and so fun! I love all the twinkling lights. I hope to go to a Christmas market this year, but my absolutely favourite Christmassy thing to do is to see all the lights in and around our neighbourhood!

    Carly xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lights are amazing and just make it all so much more festive. People are just starting to put their Christmas lights up in my street now!

      Heather x

      Delete
  6. Christmas markets are the best, they make me feel so festive! This one looks particularly good :)

    Bethan Likes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an excellent market. Have you visited any yet?

      Heather x

      Delete
  7. Looks lovely!! I really like visiting Christmas markets too - I loved the Manchester ones but the London ones have been way too busy recently! x

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm heading down to London on the 21st, I can only imagine how busy it is going to be then!

      Heather x

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. It was amazing, the first visit of many!

      Heather x

      Delete
  9. oh my god everything looks so Christmassy! I'm in love! <3 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't beat a good Christmas market!

      Heather x

      Delete
  10. I have never been to a Christmas Market! I wish There were some Christmas markets here in California. I have only to a market that just has treats, but CHRISTMAS??! I would love to go to one! ohh and your dutch pancakes that you had look DELICIOUS!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas markets are the best type of market, I hope you get the chance to go to one some day! The pancakes were fab :)

      Heather x
      http://heatherrrrm.blogspot.co.uk/

      Delete
  11. I love Christmas markets! I've been to those in Bath and next week I'm off to Germany for the annual market visit - so excited :) I love all of these photos; the waffles look delicious and wow, that tree!! :)

    http://aglassofice.blogspot.co.uk

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, a German market visit in actual Germany sounds amazing! I'd love to read a post about you trip :)

      Heather x

      Delete
  12. So nice and christmassy! Everything looks so yummy. Such a beautiful holiday :)x

    http://youcancallmes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. You should make sure to get over here to Germany - Best Christmas markets ever!

    Mike from Board Vibes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I can imagine, the Edinburgh German market is fantastic and that's only a sample of Germany!

      Heather x

      Delete
  14. Looks amazing! I really need to take a trip to the Christmas market near me.

    Elesaurus | elesaurusrawr.blogspot.com
    Youtube - Eleanor Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, and you should write about it too, I love reading Christmas market posts :)

      Heather x

      Delete
  15. Ah it looks amazing! I love festive things like this so am gonna try and get to a Christmas market or two soon :) x

    The Belle Narrative

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope you do! Nothing beats a Christmas market. Thanks for reading :)

      Heather x

      Delete
  16. Nice post

    vnssachn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I feeel super Chirstmassy after reading your post! I loved all the photos too. Nothing better than visiting the Christmas markets. x x

    www.beyondthevelvet.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks so much for reading! Christmas markets are the best markets!

      Heather x

      Delete
  18. Looks like a beautiful Christmas market and all of those wonderful sweet treats look far too tempting. ;) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Far too tempting! I was impressed that I managed to stick to just the pancakes!

      Heather x

      Delete
  19. I love this post! Your pictures are really good!
    I love Christmas Markets. I don't think I will get the chance to visit any this year as I seem to be working all the time.
    I love going and eating my way around the market haha :)

    Charl Jimenez | Blogmas December 7th

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Charlotte :) oh no, what a shame! Nibbling as you go is fab!

      Heather x

      Delete
  20. I keep hearing about these fabulous European Christmas Markets. I would love to visit one someday. I can't believe I didn't make time for it when I lived over there!

    The food looks amazing!!

    V
    Life+1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are amazing! I can't believe you didn't stumble across one!

      Heather x

      Delete
  21. Glasgow looks so cheerful this time of year! My hardest decision was deciding where to travel to for Christmas break! nomoneywilltravel.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traveling at Christmas must be amazing. I'd love to experience other country's Christmas traditions!

      Heather x

      Delete
  22. I can practically taste these photos, they are so gorgeous! Well done. :)

    Owl Girl | A London lifestyle blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Candy! I love photographing food haha!

      Heathner x

      Delete