Sunday, 4 January 2015

TV Highlights

There has been a LOT of great TV on over the festive period, you can never beat a good Christmas special. Although, saying this, I was a little disappointed by Coronation Street's Christmas Special this year. Despite this, there were many shows that did not let me down at all:

Top Gear Patagonia Special 27/12/14 & 28/12/14
Source
 Top Gear's Christmas specials are always hilarious and 2014's was no exception. The trio embarked on a 1600 mile journey through Patagonia en route to Argentina in various sports cars overcoming various obsticals such as boarders and poor quality roads. Although part 1 of this special was pretty funny, it wasn't overly exciting however part 2 made up for this and is definitely worth a watch. One of the car's licence plates caused offence to some Argentinian's and the group were forced to abandon their challenge as they were chased out the country by a very angry mob.

Eastenders
Source
 Eastenders has just gotten better and better over the festive period after delivering a bit of a story line lull prior to Christmas. The Christmas day episode - which is usually delivers a major bombshell - wasn't my favourite episode as if followed the Carter's story line which I don't find all that exciting as it involves a lot of lies and family feuds. However the last episode of 2014 and the New Year's episode were excellent. These episodes involved developments in the Lucy Beale murder case which is due to explode on the soap's anniversary in February (my money is on Abi...or maybe Peter.) The murderer was discovered by one character but was hidden from the audience by clever camera angles and scene arrangement. Just when you thought you were about to find out who the murderer is, a car crash which was the result of a sub plot killed the one person who knew the truth...only in Eastenders!

Miranda 25/12/14 & 01/01/15  
Source
 Can you believe Miranda is over???? For those of you who don't know, Miranda is a hilarious comedy written by and starring Miranda Hart. The show follows the dramas of Miranda's love life and the trials that come with having an overbearing mother who is constantly disappointed. The final episode of series three ended with Miranda receiving two marriage proposals and these final two festive episodes resolved that story line. For me, the final episodes were more emotional than hilarious but excellent nevertheless.

The Queen's Christmas Message 25/12/14 
Source
 Now this isn't everyone's cup of tea but I do really like watching the Queen's Christmas Message on Christmas Day. I find it a nice occasion to reflect on the year that is coming to a close. This year, the Queen spoke about the 'selflessness' of those helping fight the Ebola crisis and also about the poppies at the Tower of London a to mark the centenary of WWI which was a good way to turn the nation's attention to others on a day where everyone can become consumed in the festivities

Esio Trot 01/01/15 
Source
This was such a brilliant adaptation of one of my favourite Roald Dahl novels. I loved the use of James Corden as a narrator, it made the film feel very comforting and familiar and the bright sets and scenery made the film all the more appealing on a cold, dark night. Judi Dench was excellent and it really was just a lovely, heart warming film to start the new year with! If you have a spare hour and a half I'd definitely recommend it, it can still be found on iplayer here :)

Do you have any Christmas TV highlights?

Lots of love,

Heather x

17 comments:

  1. I want to watch Esio Trot! My highlights were the Dr Who and Downton special :)

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good!! I used to love Doctor Who's Christmas specials but I didn't get round to watching it this year. I know a lot of people love Downton but I've never really gotten into it.

      Heather x

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed the Top Gear special. Part 2 was so intense!

    http://sarahddavis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good! So much better than part 1!

      Heather x

      Delete
  3. I wonder if by any chance the Queen's message made it to Youtube. I wish I had these wonderful things on my TV, really wanna watch that!
    Great post xx

    http://thoughtsintiffanyblue.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the Queen's message on youtube if you fancy a watch! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMEOrszol4U

      Let me know what you think!

      Heather x

      Delete
  4. I really want to watch Eastenders! I might have to take a look online for it! :)

    xx angela | the sunday chapter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's so good at the minute! Here's a link to the new year's day episode which was my personal favourite: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04wty53/eastenders-01012015

      Heather x

      Delete
  5. I feel so disappointed that I never got around to watching any Christmas specials now.. although I have the Downton Abbey episode recorded ready to watch at some point! I love that you enjoy watching the Queen's message on Christmas Day, it's an unpopular opinion and so an interesting one! :) Happy New Year, Heather!!

    aglassofice.blogspot.co.uk

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I've never really got into Downton but my mum said the Christmas special was excellent :) Thanks for reading Gabrielle!

      Heather x

      Delete
  6. I didn't watch much t.v at Christmas as I love watching the films but Eastenders was amazing!

    www.beyondthevelvet.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was soo good! I'm excited for everything to come out in February

      Heather x

      Delete
  7. My dad and I love Top Gear, we've only watched the first one but I can't wait to watch the second. I loved Miranda and Esio Trot too, I'm sad Miranda is over now though

    Emma emhasrednails

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched Top Gear with my dad and brother who both loved it too. I know, it's a shame because I love Miranda.

      Heather x

      Delete
  8. Although I thought the festive TV could have been better, Esio Trot did made me chuckle - love this post idea!:)

    Style Sunrise ☀

    :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely see where you're coming from, a few things didn't really live u to expectations but I found that the things that were on made up for it! Thanks for reading :)

      Heather x

      Delete
  9. i;ve always wanted to see eastenders...does it come on at night? is it shown daily?

    ReplyDelete