Friday, 27 February 2015

A Day on Set

Last week, I had the chance to spend a couple of days working as a runner for an independent film production company -Freakworks Films - based in Edinburgh. A runner is someone who is on hand to help the cast and crew wherever possible  and make tea whenever needed, perhaps not the most glamorous job in the film industry but certainly a very, very fun one.
                   
When I was in, Freakworks was working on a historical production for Harlech Castle in Wales. This was super interesting as there were loads of medieval props and costumes involved.
                         
The first day was a day for the crew to set everything up and film the shots which didn't require the actors. The director, Andrew, had been given a brief by the client and had planned all the shots he wanted to film which he'd then edit together in post production. A lot of time on the first morning was spent trying to get props to look and work exactly how Andrew imagined they would. I got to work with the prop guy, Paul, for a bit which was so interesting as if something just wasn't quite working, he'd come up with a solution off the top of his head using what was at hand. For example, for one shot petals needed to fall slowly in front of the camera and when this didn't look quite right, Paul decided to thread the petals along some fishing wire so they were controllable.
                       

I worked a lot with Emma, the production assistant, who was in charge of ensuring that everything ran smoothly and to time and I also had the very important job of getting everyone's lunch! 

I spent the afternoon working with Lauren in the costume department and even got to dress up as a knight when Lauren needed to work out how all the armour fitted together!
                       

Day two was totally different despite being on the same set. All the cast were along and I got to help out with their costumes as well as ensuring their tea and coffee mugs were kept topped up. I also did a bit of admin, helped out with the lighting and even had my hand make a cameo appearance in the piece!
                     
The days were long and full on - we spent a full 12 hours on set the second day as we had a deadline to meet - but it was a brilliant experience and gave me such a good insight into the the world behind the screen. I got to speak to loads of really cool people and learnt so much in the short time I was there. Definitely worth the 6.20am starts!

Hope you all have a good weekend! Do you have any plans?

Lots of love,

Heather x

6 comments:

  1. Wow! I have never been to a film set and it must definitely be a wonderful experience! So lucky you! I truly hope you enjoyed it and that you learn many things! Have a wonderful week,
    Vera

    http://theflashwindow.weebly.com
    BLOGLOVIN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great! I was so luck o have been invited along :)

      Heather x

      Delete
  2. That must've been such an exciting day!

    xx Mimmi, Muted Mornings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awhhh wow this looks like such an awesome experience! I'm really interested in film--making and all that so I'm very jealous x

    Always, Alice x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing! I'd certainly recommend it if you ever have the opportunity to get behind the scenes for a couple of days!

      Heather x

      Delete