Tuesday, 3 February 2015

Kingsman:The Secret Service

Kingsman: The Secret Service was among the last batch of films to be released in January 2015 and I can tell you now, it was not what I was expecting.

Source
I was basing my expectations on this summary from IMDb: "Based upon the acclaimed comic book, Kingsman: The Secret Service tells the story of a super-secret spy organization that recruits an unrefined but promising street kid into the agency's ultra-competitive training program just as a global threat emerges from a twisted tech genius."

I was expecting a pretty serious spy film with a bit of a comic element, like a funny James Bond but this was a full on comedic spy film, almost a spoof. Don't get me wrong though, I really, really liked it! 

It was quite different from the films I normally go for and took a bit of getting into, especially the sort of purposly bad CGI thing that was happening throughout but it was perfect for a last minute Saturday night film.

The story followed Eggsy, a teenager from an bit of a bad background, as he competes to earn a spot in Kingsman, a top secret, secret service. Eggsy falls at the last hurdle but returns to the service when he accidentally sees his mentor being killed by a tech villain who is attempting to cull the world of those he deems 'unimportant'. Eggsy works with the few remaining trustworthy Kingsman spies to put a stop to Valentine - played excellently by Samuel L Jackson - and his evil plans.

Plausibility is something that I really like with spy films, stuff that happens in James Bond could actually happen. This film is not plausible in the slightest -  the president's head exploded in a cloud of purple smoke for starters - but this just acted to make it a really easy watch. A bit of a guilty pleasure really and worth seeing if you're at a loss of an evening.

Now for the all important question: would I buy it on DVD? It's definitely not something I'd rush out to buy upon release but if I came across it in a sale I'd pick it up to watch over a pizza with friends. Something that doesn't require a lot of attention but enjoyable all the same!

Have you seen Kingsman: The Secret Service? Or are you planning on?

Lots of love,

Heather x

2 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to watch this for ages! It is my kind of movie though.
    Great review and I can't wait to see it

    Sarah xx
    http://sarahddavis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw fab, I hope you like it! Let me know when you see it!

      Heather x

      Delete