Sunday, 22 February 2015

TV Highlights

THE MURDERER HAS BEEN REVEALED and what a plot twist it was (I'm talking about Easteneders just to clarify, SUCH an exciting week!) and the TV listings weren't the only exciting thing either, I had the chance to spend two days working as a runner on the set of a short history documentary in Edinburgh this week which was fantastic. I had an absolute blast and learnt a lot about the film industry at the same time however I'm hoping to do a post on my time on set next week so for now, onto the TV highlights:

15/02/15 - I Survived A Zombie Apocalypse 
 
   Source
I Survived A Zombie Apocalypse is a new reality TV show which I was very intrigued by. The show follows a group of 'survivors' who have to keep themselves alive during a 'zombie apocalypse'. The team were given challenges to find necessary supplies like food and bedding while avoiding the killer zombies. It was very different to anything I'd watched before but I really rather enjoyed it!                      

15/02/15 - The Casual Vacancy

 
        Source

The adaptation of J.K. Rowling's adult novel has arrived and I love it! The Dicken's style novel follows the dramatic events that unfold in the peacful town of Pagford following the death of Barry Fairbrother which opens a casual vacancy on the town council. I was really intrigued as to how the book would translate on TV but it works very well, it's quite dark and is more modern than I was expecting but that's certainly no bad thing. However, like in the book, there are a lot of characters and it gets a bit hard to keep track of who is who but I'm sure that will get easier as the series progresses

16/02/15 - Dance Moms

Source
Dance Moms was brilliant this week, the team headed to LA and Abby completely lost it! There was a load of childish drama and bickering as well as some amazing dancing - the best sort of guilty pleasure!

 18/02/15 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off

Source
Johnathan Ross, Zoe Sugg, Abbey Clancy and Gok Wan took to the Bake Off tent this week and produced some great television. Johnathan Ross was particularly bad which was particularly enjoyable, although he did manage to produce quite a tasty looking showstopper - unlike Zoella! (Her cupcakes did look the best though.)

 EASTENDERS!
Source
OH. MY. GOODNESS. Eastenders was absolutely brilliant this week and not just due to the big reveal! Loads of loose ends were tied up and new storylines were established, there was a birth, a muder and more than one confession, excellent TV! A particular highlight was the recreation of the opening scene of the first ever episode in Thursday's first installment, I thought that was a really lovely touch to celebrate the 30th anniversary. Each episode this week had a live section and then Friday's episode was completely live, which is absolutely incredible from a production point of view. It's amazing how they switched back and forth between live acting and pre-recorded material without a hiccup and without continuity errors in setting/costume. The actors were all fabulous too, I guess it's one thing to present live but to act a very emotional scene live must be a whole different kettle of fish, it was so good that I felt a bit emotional myself and I do NOT get emotional at TV programmes! I also loved how other programmes on BBC One got involved with Eastenders's huge week; there was a special Eastenders edition of Graham Norton on Monday, a little countdown clock on The One Show and a live 'behind the scenes' programme after Friday's episode.

Moving away from Eastenders, there was a great feature on BBC Breakfast on Monday morning - which you can watch here - about a little boy called Billy Byron who's name has been borrowed by his favourite author, Michael Morpogo, as the name of the hero in his new book. Billy made an appearance on the Breakfast sofa where he received a video message from Michael which made for a lovely, cheery piece. It definitely brightened my Monday morning!

What an excellent week of television it has been! Next week will have to do a lot to top it although The Oscars, The Brits and the Broadchurch finale are on so I'm not ruling it out just yet!

Did you watch anything good this week?

Hope you've all had a lovely weekend!

Lots of love,

Heather x

8 comments:

  1. Ohh I did see the zombie apocolypse one and wondered what it would be like - might have to catch up on iplayer! Your runner experience sounds really interesting, glad you had a good time! x

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still really enjoying the Zombie Apocalypse - totally different to most of the things I watch! Thanks Jasmin :)

      Heather x

      Delete
  2. Ooh I don't watch any of these shows, except I have seen a few episodes of dance moms when we were in the US last year! It was sooo addictive haha xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dance Moms is amazing! So overly dramatic!

      Heather x

      Delete
  3. Nice post! :)
    I have nominated you for a Versatile blogger award! :) Here is the link! http://taniagarcialozano.blogspot.com/2015/02/the-versatile-blogger-award-taniastyles.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could see the TV version of Casual Vacancy. I am big fans of her.
    xx
    http://liveitcolorfully.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can get it on the BBC iplayer :)

      Heather x

      Delete